Thursday, June 28, 2007

Poetry thursday 6.28.07

Thirst

Water
is the cry that croaks
(this desperate whisper barely chokes)
from parched and rasping dustlined throats
that crave a balm which cools and coats—
the gliding flow of
water.


Insomnia

Dark water tapping in my brain
staccato dancing of the rain
it beats my bedroom window pane
I listen from my bed.
A wicked trickle in my mind
that leaves no solace left to find
a dreaded dripping still enshrined
it echoes in my head.
And so I lie awake, alone
and listen to the drumming drone
of rain against the window blown
and clutch at sleep that's fled.

6 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I like the parallels drawn. They complement.

paris parfait said...

Great job with contrasting views.

Regina said...

The first one reminded me of our poor front yard, all choked and dehydrated from a drought here.
The second one is so well done as well, although I find myself lulled to sleep by the pitter-patter of rain...

Rob Kistner said...

CG - I think your piece "Insomnia" is very well written -- and great fun to read aloud. Very nice job... ;)

Clare said...

You write so incredibly beautifully! I love the flow of your words and the wonderful rhyming. Both poems totally bring to life the sound and sensation of water -- both in its thirst and in the rain. Perfect!

Irene said...

Glad to have chanced upon your blog. You're such a gifted writer! Keep at it. ;p