Friday, April 11, 2008

NaPoWriMo #10: mending

I'm playing catch-up because yesterday got away from me. The truth is, the time I should have been writing was spent immersed in reading. What can I say? It wasn't even poetry, but I'm a sucker for a good book. And I'll make up for it by writing two poems tomorrow, okay?

Earlier tonight I was down in the basement in my sewing/computer room mending a housecoat for an older friend of mine. I fixed a couple other things, too, from my big stack of "UFOs" (unfinished objects). This may reveal what a simple creature I really am, but I always feel a tremendous sense of relaxation and accomplishment when I do mending (which is not necessarily true about my other sewing projects). It's about the soothing rhythm of stitching, whether I use a machine or sew by hand, and also about being useful, extending the life of something just a little beyond what it might have otherwise been. Somehow that makes me feel as though I'm extended, too.


Mended

Green white black blue spools
carefully threaded through
hand wheel turned gently forward
catching bobbin thread
fabric laid flat lined up
against ruled throat plate
comforting pressure
of knee lever against my leg
soothing reverse forward reverse
sweet and steady hum
old Singer reverberating
seven stitches per inch
and
fleecy green pajamas
faded floral housecoat
cotton crib sheet worn soft
front pocket tee-shirt
wool skirt with ripped hem
satisfyingly
return to service.

1 comment:

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like this, its good to see things mended!