Monday, April 26, 2010

NaPoWriMo #18: no rhythm

I was thinking about what I wrote about meter: that I have a hard time with anything involving rhythm, because it just doesn't come naturally. And it occurred to me that when I write in meter, I always feel like I'm watching my feet instead of actually feeling the rhythm of the meter. Which in turn led to this little snippet of a poem.


Two Right Feet Still Make a Wrong Rhythm

Dance with abandon
shake shake shake shake it
when no one’s around
caught up by sound
rhythm and flow I’m
detached from the ground

dancing in a crowd
fake fake fake fake it
counting with each beat
and watching my feet
stilted and slow I’ve
got shoes of concrete.

2 comments:

Dyann said...

That's because you're missing your feather boa!

chicklegirl said...

[Smacks forehead with palm] Doh! So that's what I've been doing wrong!