Sunday, December 09, 2007

Santa claws



In Acts 20:35, the apostle Paul quotes Jesus as saying, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Certainly, this holds true in some situations less than others (diamond earrings? chocolate cheesecake? a full-body massage?) but it’s a value that my parents worked hard to instill in me, and now I’m trying to pass it on to my own progeny.

I wanted to do a family service project for one of our advent calendar activities, but something enjoyable as well as meaningful, so Jimmy could start to grasp early on that being kind can be fun and rewarding. My mom had a great suggestion: do service at an animal shelter, since Jimmy has such a great love of all things furry. When I called our local shelter, they suggested we could donate food or even come in and feed treats to the cats.

Yesterday we did a quick shopping trip to and then headed to the shelter.

Good call, Mom.

No comments: