Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tightwad tuesday: best bargains

While it doesn't fall strictly under my purview of emergency preparedness, I've wound up as a sort of de facto member of our ward Relief Society's enrichment committee. On Thursday night we've got an enrichment meeting that will be focusing, appropriately for this time of year, on gardening. My contribution is to prepare a little booklet of "tightwad tips" for the ladies to take home with them. This is right up my alley; I'm a long-time penny-pincher.

It was a fun assignment for me because I love the chance to do creative layout and design on my computer, as well as the chance to share the many money-saving tips I've amassed over the years. Some of the tips in the booklet are ones I collected as a teen and have been using as long as I can remember, others I've picked over the years, and a few I found just recently.

Not long ago Motherhood for Dummies visited my blog, and when I checked out hers, she had some great tips for saving money, which I included in the booklet along with the others. All this focus on frugality got me thinking: maybe some of my on-line friends and family might enjoy these tips, too. So I proudly present a new feature at chicklegirl: Tightwad Tuesday. For my first official tightwad post, here's a list of eight of the best bargains around (because by now you should know how I feel about bargains... and the number eight). Please feel free to leave your tips for great bargains, too.

Best Bargains. Ever.

  1. The public library. Where information, knowledge, and self-education—and even time on a computer using the internet—are available at no cost.
  2. Toothpaste and dental floss. A lot of toothpaste and dental floss can be purchased for the price of a filling.
  3. Thinness. Because one simply eats less.
  4. A 42 cent postage stamp. The US Postal Service will carry any volume of information under one ounce thousands of miles for the same price.
  5. Paper. The best present for a child is a pencil and a piece of paper.
  6. Walking. It burns calories, gets you where you want to go, and no special equipment or costly memberships are required.
  7. Public places. Places of interest that are free and open to all.
  8. A single zucchini seed. Gardening saves on your grocery bill. Especially if you like zucchini.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

oh wow. I feel so special! Thanks for the link! I love finding blogs that share my love of finding a good deal :)