Thursday, May 03, 2007

What bliss is this?


There's nothing quite like being good to yourself. Not that I think the world should revolve around me, but I think it's a vital part of emotional health to do things for yourself every so often that give you an emotional and/or physical boost.

I've been getting therapeutic massages for about seven years now, and I highly recommend massage as the perfectly healthful, non-fattening and relatively economical way to be good to yourself. I started back when I was in college because I had problems with a repetitive stress injury in my back. The injury was brought on because I spent so much time on the computer between my job and schoolwork. I started getting therapeutic massages about every four months (usually the weekend after finals) and my back problems subsided.

Now that I've ventured into the wilds of motherhood, I don't have the time (or the money) to get a massage quite so often. When I was expecting Jimmy, my doula was a massage therapist, and I got a couple of wonderful pre-natal massages. Lately I've been feeling pretty sore and creaky, and I decided it was time again. So I went for an hour-and-a-half massage this evening and it was wonderful. The lady I see uses hot stone massage and it was ... ahhhhh.

3 comments:

aubrey said...

i got prenatal massages quite frequently when i was pregnant with both ava and max. but nothing tops the hot stones that my massage therapist tried on me the last few months of pregnancy with max. i had horrible sciatica and it was awesome having her work on that and get it out of there.

oh and sundy is a pretty amazing masseurs, if you're ever in town.

chicklegirl said...

I'll have to remember that about Sundy!

aubrey said...

yes..she just gave me one yesterday as a swap for teaching her how to wax. it was lovely.