Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Little things

We live in an old house with a big kitchen, and one of the things I love about it is that there's a broom closet conveniently situated right next to the sink: the perfect spot to put the trash can so that I don't have to bend over to throw things out under the sink, which is where we used to put the trash in our old apartment. The brooms have been relegated to the back porch, where they resignedly hang from pegs on the wall.

I had a small epiphany this morning when I went to put something in the kitchen trash. I opened the door of the closet and was pleasantly surprised to find that the trash had been newly emptied. Instantly I reflected on one of the things I love most about my husband: his thoughtfulness in all the the small things he does without being asked. I love how he takes out the trash without complaining. How he's assumed litterbox duty (even when I'm not pregnant). How he always lets me have the parking spot that's closest to the house, even if it means his truck gets stuck in the ice ruts in the alley during winter. How when he comes home from work, the first thing he does is spend time playing with his son. How he tries to make me laugh when I'm taking myself too seriously. How he tenderly touches my belly, even before he can feel the baby move.

Life and love are all about the little things.

3 comments:

lemon square said...

he sounds awesome! i've only met him a few times
but he seems like an awesome dad. i loved that he would come to music time and hang out with a bunch of moms to play the guitar and spend time with his boy. very cute.

chicklegirl said...

Lidi, after reading "Hot Blueberry Pie for Breakfast", it sounds to me like you caught yourself a winner, too!

aubrey said...

what a sweet post, katie! it made me think of all the reasons why i love paul. jim sounds like a darling! it truly is all about the little things.