Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cocoon

I had a glucose screen last week because my OB wants to stay ahead of the game if I develop gestational diabetes again. My test results came back borderline, so I had to do the more involved 3-hour screen on Monday, with a total of four blood draws.

Because I eat so little sugar any more (usually as a minor ingredient in things like bread or condiments), these tests really took it out of me. The rush of sugar made me so sick that I was tired and nauseated for 12 hours after. It was worth it, though; the results of the 3-hour test came back negative. So at least for a little while, I'll enjoy not having to poke myself four times a day. I do fully expect to wind up with gestational diabetes later on, though.

This week I realized I've been isolating myself a bit. Not on purpose, really; more out of self-preservation. I've been wrapped up in this tight little kid-centric cocoon: potty-training Audrey, powering through the final month of the school year with Jimmy (our last day of school is June 14), and bonding with baby #3, who I can finally feel flutter-kicking inside me.

It dawned on me yesterday that I need to start reaching out even if the urge to isolate continues, because at the beginning of June, I'm staring down the barrel of two weeks of flying solo while Jim does job-related training in Atlanta. No matter how much I feel like withdrawing now, I'm going to be starved for conversation and interaction with adults by the time Jim rolls back into town on June 19.

3 comments:

Chantalle R. said...

Be sure to call me. We can plan a couple things while Jim is gone. Hopefully the weather will be nice and we can go outside. Let me know when you need anything.

Dyann said...

I sure hope our activity the 12th satisfies some of your adult-conversation needs! Can't wait to see you!!!!

Super Happy Girl said...

I did a self-preservation isolation marathon last year. For about 5 months...totally different reasons though. I don't recommend it to anyone ;) So yeah, get out there chica!

Glad your tests are over, can't imagine going through that.