Friday, January 16, 2009

In memorium

One of my favorite artists passed away today. I was cooking dinner when Jim told me he had read about it online, and I couldn't help thinking in the middle of pan-frying chicken in my cast-iron skillet, how I had fallen in love with Andrew Wyeth's art when I was in sixth grade after reading a book (which I still have) about his painting technique. In sixth grade when death and life were so improbably mixed up in my mind and I was searching for beauty in both.

I will miss the bright light, the clear light behind all those stunning paintings... which remain, even after the light has gone out.

1 comment:

Super Happy Girl said...

I read about him but didn't google any of his art until today.
So you love him since 6th grade, wow, that's pretty amazing.