Sunday, July 13, 2008

Raspberry pie

On Wednesday I got a call from a friend who has a U-pick berry patch, asking if I was interested in fresh raspberries for $4 a quart. It sounded like a fun adventure for Jimmy, so on Friday afternoon, I packed up the kids and drove down to Mary's place, just inside the Yakima River Canyon. I was surprised at the longevity of Jimmy's enthusiasm, especially considering how hot it was. He ate a lot of what he picked, but quite a few berries made it into his bucket and between the two of us we had about a quart and a third before he said, "Mom, I think I'm done now."

Yesterday morning when I got home from my bike ride, I rifled through my collection of tried and true recipes and found my favorite one for raspberry pie. Jimmy had picked a few berries that were just this side of ripe, and it gave the pie a nice, tangy flavor. Oh, and the recipe calls for pastry for a double crust pie. I always use Martha Stewart's pate brisee recipe, because regardless of her questionable ethics when it comes to the stock market, the woman knows pie crust.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! Add picking berries and making homemade pies to my list of things I miss out on by living in Hawaii. ;-)

Super Happy Girl said...

Oh see, now you go and make me all hungry.

Crafty Green Poet said...

looks like a wonderful pie... I enjoyed your poem about it on your other blog too

Unknown said...

Oh Katie,

I REALLY miss fresh pie... blackberry pie still wins hands down as the best breakfast food ever, but raspberry comes a close second. Please, motivate me!! Yours looks scrumptious.

Had to laugh at the MS crust -- it looks identical to the Betty Crocker Basic Pie Dough my family has been using for over 40 years ... :)