Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tightwad tuesday: byob

Bring your own bags, that is. Most grocery stores around here offer a discount off your total bill for each reusable cloth or previously used plastic bag you provide to tote your purchases (such as 5 cents per bag). I keep a stash of them in the trunk of my car so I don't forget to take them to the store with me. While it's still a while before this would happen in Ellensburg, I've heard many supermarkets in urban areas are starting to actually charge customers for paper and plastic grocery bags.

If you want to make your own sturdy cloth grocery bags, lots of patterns and how-to's are available online. Oh, and once your disposable bags do start to fall apart, don't forget to recycle them!

2 comments:

aubreyannie said...

drat, katie. another reason why i need to get myself a sewing machine and learn how to sew. i LOVE this idea!

p.s. it was lovely to talk with you today! i miss you!!

Margaret said...

Germans are Natzis about Recycling and charging for plastic bags. So it is a big trend to bring your own bags to the stores. We bring our own all the time and when we happen to forget we always recycle the plastic bags. I am a natzi on recycling.

I Love your ideas on being a TIGHT-WAD. I usually send Dustin to do the shopping because he gets what we need and I just end up spending more on what we don't need. It does the trick!lol