Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas is coming...

...in less than a month! I started my Christmas sewing on Saturday, turning some gold-colored brocade from my fabric stash into a tree skirt. In former lifetimes it has been both pillow shams and a valance above our shower. A little Velco, a little gold braid (and a whole lot of calculating and then recalculating the diameter of the circle based on the amount of gold braid I had to go around the circumferance) and voilà! Things old are new again.

Next up: stockings for me and Jim. I made our original stockings back in 1996 and they're just so... 90s. You know, earth-tone red and green plaids with pine trees and hearts. I wanted something a little more expressive of our personalities, so over the last few months I bought some Simpsons Christmas fabric for Jim and sock monkey Christmas fabric for me.

Today I started planning our yearly advent calendar line-up, inspired by this post at Playful Learning. Our annual favorites will be back, including:
  • putting up the tree on December 1st
  • reading about the history and significance of Christmas symbols such as the wreath, the candle and the star
  • making Christmas cookies
  • hanging our stockings
  • visiting the local animal shelter with donations for needy critters
This year I'll be adding some new activities:
  • making Christmas cards for teachers
  • reading about the history of the winter solstice
  • decorating ice cream cone Christmas trees (instead of the usual gingerbread houses)
  • creating ornaments for grandparents
and the one I'm really excited about (because Audrey suddenly has a wild hair that she wants to eat tamales after we learned about them for Día de los Muertos) ...
  •  learning about how Las Posadas is celebrated in Mexico and making tamales
So many things to look forward to!

2 comments:

Candy said...

Happy December to youuuu! I like the Advent Calendar activity list so far...that is a great idea! Rainy here today, so I am off the hook for painting outside. Hugs, Candy

chicklegirl said...

Candy, I'm so glad you are staying warm. Do you have a snail mail address where I can send you a Christmas card?