Monday, May 07, 2012

Bio lab

Since last year we've been trying to observe protozoa for Jimmy's science classes. Two different orders of grow-it-yourself samples from a homeschool science company yielded no results. Last November I threw in the towel and decided to wait for warmer weather, hoping it would help the little critters to proliferate.


Fast forward to this spring, when I got smart and realized I could get protozoa locally at a convenient pond. After one failed attempt to find some on our own, Jim asked a colleague from the storm water department at work if he could recommend a good place to look. His buddy came through with a great spot to sample pond water, and this afternoon we got an eyeful of amoebae and paramecia. Apparently the key is to look for warmer, still water, rather than anything that is cool and moving. Good to know.

1 comment:

Mrs. Lessig said...

This is cool! didn't know you had a blog until today. Your son reminds me of my husband. Kids seems to follow him to ponds look for who knows what! But Jimmy's mind is going to bring him to so many discoveries... I bet he really likes this!