Sunday, February 20, 2011

Eight days to go

This weekend I started pre-media-fast mode. I figured it would be easier to start scaling back now, so it wouldn't be such a shock to my system on March 1.

I pared back my blogroll by more than half. I stopped following blogs of anyone I've never met IRL (except Super Happy Girl at Mas Cowbell, because I just know she is somehow my separated-at-birth-by-the-border sister).

I started checking my email less, particularly during the earlier part of the day, when I need to focus on teaching Jimmy his lessons.

I watched NCIS with Jim, knowing it would be the last time for while, and then he called to cancel our satellite service.

I also un-friended a lot of people on Facebook. This is the second time I've done a massive un-friending; the first time was about six months ago. I was surprised back then how one person immediately sent me a message asking what they had done to offend me--and then I didn't hear anything else until about a week ago, when another person sent me a message asking that I re-request them. If it takes you six months to notice someone's not on your friend list, it's probably best they're no longer on it.

We'll see what happens with this go-round. I'm still on the fence about the possibility of completely quitting Facebook, because I recognize it's a useful tool to stay connected to people who are a) far away or b) hard to reach in other ways. I love being able to keep up with my brothers and sisters, see pictures of their kids, and feel like I'm part of their lives. But I also like having my boundaries, and there are some people with whom I don't want to share the details of my life.

Ah--the eternal quest for balance!

No comments: