Monday, August 09, 2010

Take me out to the ballgame




Back when Jim and I were dating and our relationship turned serious, I watched carefully for signs of sports obsession. I had gone out with a few guys who were rabid football or basketball fans, and it was a trait I disliked. Intensely. I asked some very pointed questions but as far as I could tell, he had little interest in professional sports, so I married him (not just because of that; he also makes the best brownies I've ever tasted).

Fast forward to seven years later, when I caught Jim watching a Mariners game on TV. I didn't worry too much, until it happened multiple times in one week, and then in overhearing him talk on the phone with his brother John about a recent game, I realized he knew the names of all the players. When I confronted him, he confessed he had played baseball in junior high and even managed his high school team when he didn't make the cut.

Rather than feeling betrayed by this latent love of baseball (which he had so successfully hidden from me during not just the critical courtship period, but the ensuing years as well) I tried to be open-minded. I tested the waters to see if it was something we could do together. I watched the next game with him, and found I actually enjoyed it.

We started following the Mariners on TV and going to a couple games a year, back when we still lived in Bellevue. We even took Jimmy once when he was very little, but we hadn't been to another game since we moved over the mountains.

Until last Saturday. Jim's brother John had tickets to some sweet seats (27 rows back behind the Mariners' dugout), but couldn't make the game due to other commitments, so he gave them to us.

When Jim asked Jimmy what his favorite thing was about going to the game, he said, "Everything." Pressed for specifics, he named (in this order) kettle corn, cotton candy and red vines. Asked the same question, Audrey--to my surprise--said, "Baseball."

5 comments:

aubreyannie said...

what a lovely background story of your relationship. it had me grinning from ear to ear. and i love these pictures of you guys..audrey is adorable!!

Kim said...

Love this post, including the action shots of cotton-candy consumption! Audrey is getting so big I gasped...meanwhile, Jimmy has correctly ascertained pretty much the only things that the poor M's have going for them this year: snacks.

chicklegirl said...

@Kim: I know, it's been a lousy year for them--too painful to watch more than an inning here and there. Maybe with a new manager at the helm... but I'm not holding my breath. And yes, Audrey is sprouting. I'm still in a bit of denial that she turns three in three weeks.

@Aubrey: Looking forward to seeing you next weekend--it's been way too long, girl!

Chantalle R. said...

I am so jealous but so glad you guys were able to use the tickets and have a good time. Love you and your family. See you tomorrow.

Super Happy Girl said...

:D!

Baseball is the king of sports for a reason. There's nothing I don;t love about it...ok, maybe that I don;t go to games as often as I'd like.
Anyway, enjoy!

WV: poopit.