Wednesday, December 11, 2013

NaNoWriMo wrap up

Toward the end of November, I got a new assignment at church: I'm the Primary president; which, for my non-Mormon readers, means I'm in charge of the children's Sunday school. It's a fun but overwhelming job. Fortunately, I have lots of help in the form of two counselors and a secretary--three smart and capable ladies--as well as the teachers. The children themselves are delightful. Our Primary has lots of big personalities in small bodies (including my two oldest), and it is a worthy challenge keeping them engaged, learning and feeling loved.

As soon as I received my new calling, it began to demand a lot of my attention and time. I did still write most days during the last couple weeks of NaNoWriMo, but not as much as before. That said, my first attempt at writing a novel during the month of November is a success in that I'm so much closer to my goal than before: I wrote 19,138 words last month, which brings The Door to Yesterday up to 55,170 words. Judging from where I am in my story arc, I'd say I'm about 2/3 of the way through with the book, which is huge. HUGE.

Just this week, I've started putting together a list of agents. I know I'm still a long way off from being ready to send out queries, but it's motivating to think about that stage of developing my book, and what I need to do now to get there.

And let's face it: I've always been something of a cart-before-the-horse kind of girl. That's how I roll...backwards and slowly...but in the right direction.

No comments: